Public Policy Analyst
The Public Policy Analyst is a manager level position who will be responsible for the development of several of Imagine Canada’s public policy priorities as set by the Public Policy Committee of the Board. Reporting to the Director of Advocacy & Knowledge Mobilization, the analyst will articulate clear policy recommendations informed by research and data evidence in pursuit of the best interests of nonprofit sector organizations. The Analyst will work closely with the Public Policy team and other teams across the organization to deliver on one of Imagine Canada’s strategic priorities of influencing the environment in which nonprofits and charities are best able to serve their communities.
Public policy analysis and development
- Develop evidence-informed public policy positions, concise recommendations to government, discussion papers and reports as required.
- Initiate exploration of new and emerging policy areas of interest to the nonprofit sector.
- Regular Parliamentary monitoring: review & analysis of transcripts, government announcements, reports, legislation, committee meetings.
- Work with the Manager, Government Relations towards the development and implementation of quarterly government relations plans.
- Hold regular meetings with federal officials, either alone or alongside other team members, including the President & CEO.
- Initiate and carry out convening of sector representatives to inform public policy development.
- Attend events as a representative of Imagine Canada.
- Develop and maintain relationships with policy analysts and political staffers in government.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with sector colleagues outside of Imagine Canada, particularly among Imagine Canada’s membership.
Research & knowledge mobilization
- Execute some research tasks in support of public policy development: key informant interviews, literature reviews, and case studies.
- Work with the team to inform advocacy campaigns as required.
- Translate research (by Imagine Canada and others) into accessible materials and knowledge products in support of policy priorities.
- Working with the Public Policy team and Digital Experience team, draft updates and communications for the public policy section of Imagine Canada’s website.
- Strong command of English language
- 3-5 years experience in public policy analysis and development
- Understanding of the environment in which Canadian charities and nonprofits operate and appreciation of the diversity Canada’s charitable and nonprofit sector
- A university degree (preferably at the graduate level) in political science, public administration, social science, or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of Parliamentary institutions, federal government departments, and the federal decision-making process.
- Self-starter attitude with the ability to adapt and multi-task in a dynamic environment
- Ability to write compelling copy in a multitude of mediums; experience with report writing
- Willingness to travel; particularly to the National Capital Region when required
- Experience working for a charity or a public-benefit nonprofit.
- Experience with federal advocacy and networked organizations
Imagine Canada is a national, bilingual charity that works with and on behalf of Canada's charities, nonprofits, and social entrepreneurs to create an operating environment in which social good can thrive. We believe in a stronger Canada where charities work together, alongside business and government, to build vibrant communities.
- Be part of a growing national organization in a collegial environment with a smart group of dedicated staff and volunteers.
- Attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary and generous benefits.
- Opportunity to engage with a variety of thought leaders from charities and nonprofits across the country collectively working toward common goals.
- Opportunity to learn leading practices and emerging trends in the charitable sector.
- Leadership is forward-thinking, entrepreneurial, and supportive operating in an environment of integrity and collective commitment to achieving long-term goals.
Imagine Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact in Canadian communities. We are committed to fostering a culture that exemplifies our employee values:
- Collaborative: We believe different perspectives create great things.
- Integrity: We are principled professionals who embrace trust and honesty.
- Levity: We take our work seriously and fuel it with moments of joy and good humour.
- Creativity: We create using our resourcefulness, ingenuity, and imagination.
- Candour: We communicate with a truthful and sincere frankness.
- Remarkable: We produce quality work that turns heads.
- Terms of Employment: Permanent & full time
- Location: Anywhere in Canada. A stable internet connection is required; Imagine Canada’s workforce is distributed by default, though we currently maintain physical workspace in Toronto and Montreal.
- Annual Salary Range: $70,000 - $80,000 annually, plus health/dental benefits + Group RSP
- Deadline to apply: July 5, 2021, though applications will be considered on a rolling basis. We are ideally looking for a mid-August start-date.
We invite you to send us your resume and a brief statement expressing your interest in the role, including area(s) of subject matter expertise, to email@example.com using the subject line “Public Policy Analyst”.
No faxes or phone calls, please. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Imagine Canada, as a national organization representing a diverse sector, has embarked on an anti-racism organizational change process and is committed to diversifying its team. We particularly encourage applications from Black people, Indigenous people, and people of colour, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2+ community and those with varied areas of expertise and lived experiences. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.