Senior Manager, Finance & Operations
Imagine Canada is a national, bilingual charity that works with and on behalf of Canada's charities, nonprofits, and social entrepreneurs to create an operating environment in which social good can thrive. We believe in a stronger Canada where charities work together, alongside business and government, to build vibrant communities.
We are a virtual, dynamic, employer of choice, operating remotely, that offers competitive compensation and benefits, strong work-life balance, and unrivalled flexibility to ‘just get the job done’.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Finance & Operations, the Senior Manager, Finance & Operations is responsible for all accounting, tax, treasury, payroll, and benefits administration, as well as office operations.
A hands-on, energetic designated accountant, you’ll bring the vision, energy, and urgency to take these functions to a new level, starting with our accounting/financial reporting function. We’re moving to a Salesforce-based accounting platform to smooth systems integration, improve management reporting, and provide analytics and insight in addition to historical information. With basic functionality nearly complete, you’ll bring this project home, working closely with program and department leads to deliver timely, actionable management information, including annual budgets and quarterly forecasts, to drive growth and operational excellence. You’ll complete the migration to a fully paperless operation, reducing costs along the way. Next, you’ll contribute to important Board and other stakeholder communications to support our strategic priority of financial strength and sustainability.
- Ensures to the greatest extent possible the integration of operations and activities with other parts of the organization, and the collaborative team-work of staff reporting to them.
- Actively works to break down operating silos by ensuring that activities are performed by the right people in the organization, whether that is staff reporting to them, or others.
- Contributes to all organizational goals and objectives where possible, in addition to having leadership on particular ones.
- Hires, trains, mentors, motivates, and evaluates the performance of 3 staff members - Coordinator, Accounting; Coordinator, Business Operations; and, Assistant, Office Operations
- Establishes and builds effective working relationships across all departments.
- Approves budget, scope, schedule and resources for new and ongoing priorities.
- Monitors team plans and priorities, ensuring they align with the achievement of our game changing outcomes for the charitable sector as well as the financial goals of the organization
- Maintains sector, organization, and service knowledge by attending relevant events and meetings; reviewing professional publications; and establishing personal networks
Finance & Operations
- Responsible for month-end and year-end closing, variance analysis, monthly and regular reconciliation of various general ledger accounts
- Supporting and leading reporting, budgeting and forecasting processes
- Preparation of audit working papers, and active participant in year-end audit
- Project accounting responsibilities, including preparation of individual project detail reports and summary reports to funders
- All aspects of outsourced payroll and benefits administration and compliance
- Cash management including cash flow forecasting, managing short-term investments
- Researching and proposing solutions to accounting, tax, and related compliance issues
- Preparation, submission and management of various grant and rebate applications to various levels of government (e.g., property tax rebates, summer jobs grants)
- Researching, negotiating contracts for office services
- Insurance and risk management
- Developing, implementing, monitoring, and reporting on asset protection activities for the organization’s intellectual property
- Minimum 4-5 years of relevant professional experience, ideally in the charitable/nonprofit sector
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CGA or equivalent)
- Strong computer skills. Environment is currently: Great Plains moving to Salesforce; Excel and Word; Google Workspace; various other tools as beneficial
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple and changing demands and priorities, maintaining flexibility and adaptability
- Problem-solving skills: ability to make decisions; sound judgment; development of creative solutions
- Payroll experience
- Comfortable working with multi-disciplinary team and enjoy the challenge of working on different projects
- Demonstrated experience delivering projects within budget, scope, and timelines
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated confidence and maturity when interacting with individuals across diverse roles
- Accountable and adaptable — ability to keep self and team on track while being able to remain calm and pivot course in a changing environment
- Ability to contribute to the culture of our workplace by staying positive, engaged in the work you do, and energized by the difference you’re making
- Be part of a growing national organization in a collegial environment with a smart group of dedicated staff and volunteers
- Attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary and generous benefits
- Remote work environment
- Flexible hours and approach to work, focused on simply getting the job done
- Opportunity to learn leading practices and emerging trends in the charitable sector
- Leadership is forward-thinking, entrepreneurial, and supportive, operating in an environment of integrity and collective commitment to achieving long-term goals
Imagine Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact in Canadian communities. We are currently actioning an anti-racism and anti-oppression roadmap that embeds equity into our processes, human resources, and mission area programs. We are committed to fostering a culture that exemplifies our employee values:
- Accountability: We are mindful of our responsibilities to each other, and make commitments and decisions grounded in trust, transparency, and integrity.
- Care: We cultivate a flexible and compassionate work environment that recognizes the whole personhood of each individual.
- Courage: We dare to ask challenging questions, to take risks in the spirit of creativity and innovation, and to be open to continuous learning, growth, and change.
- Drive: We are dedicated to, and find purpose in, producing high-quality work that positively impacts our sector and our communities.
- Inclusivity: We ground all aspects of our work in mutual respect, empathy, humility, and unshakable commitments to equity and anti-racism.
- Teamwork: We support, inspire, and celebrate each other through active collaboration, proactive communication, and expressions of fun and joy.
- Terms of Employment: Permanent, full-time.
- Location: Canada, location flexible.
- Working hours: Normally 35 hours per week. Flexible working hours to accommodate personal and family commitments. Arrangements will be made to provide a workspace close to home.
- Annual Salary Range: $82,400 - $95,280
- Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Health Spending Account, Group RRSP, Employee Assistance Program. Generous vacation package, Paid PD time and tuition.
- Deadline to apply: May 24, 2022. Open until filled.
We invite you to send us your resume and a brief statement expressing your interest in the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line, “Senior Manager, Finance & Operations”.
No faxes or phone calls, please. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Imagine Canada, as a national organization representing a diverse sector, has embarked on an anti-racism organizational change process and is committed to diversifying its team. We particularly encourage applications from Black people, Indigenous people, and people of colour, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2+ community and those with varied areas of expertise and lived experiences. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!